Time for my yearly – and almost always wrong – Regionals Predictions.
- Men: Patrick Vellner, Alex Vigneault, Chase Smith, Austin Spencer and Christian Harris. I’m confident in Vellner and Vigneault for sure, fairly confident that Smith will qualify assuming no torn pec. Spencer and Harris are more a guess. I also like Hobart just because he comes from Mayhem and I think this has to be one of the first times (or at least it has been a long time) that he has attended Regionals as an individual.
- Women: Katrin Davidsdottir, Kari Pearce, Carolyne Prevost, Chelsey Hughes and Carol-Ann Reason-Thibault. I would love to see Pearce beat Davidsdottir. I can’t put my finger on why I don’t like her, but I don’t.
- Team: CrossFit New England, Reebok CrossFit One, CrossFit Milford and Pro1 Montreal are the only ones I know…so I’m picking them. How’s that for inside info?
- Men: Bjorgvin Karl Gudmundsson, Lukas Hogberg, Frederik Aegidius, Mitchell Adams and Adrian Mundwiler. BKG runs away with it.
- Women: Sara Sigmundsdottir, Annie Thorisdottir, Kristin Holte, Thuridur Erla Helgadottir and Bjork Odinsdottir. This is going to be a FUN Regional to watch. Love Sara and Annie and hope they go back and forth.
- Team: Going to be honest – I don’t know any of these teams.
- Men: Lots of the “big names” out of the South are going team, so this could be wide open. Rogelio (aka Roy) Gamboa, Sean Sweeney, Logan Collins, Mitch Spjut and Jared Enderton. Threw Enderton in there because I like to root local.
- Women: Tennil Beuerlein, Colleen Fotsch, Camille LeBlanc Bazinet, Margaux Alvarez and Alexis Johnson. I am leaving out Shadburne and favoring the OPEX girls. This is going to be a really fun Regional to watch, too. The first weekend kicks off with two really good female competitions.
- Team: Airrosti, CrossFit OMNIA, CrossFit Jaakarhu, #Teamdensity, Backcountry Black – rooting hard for the local teams. Would love to see Sanitas or Alpine make it too.
- Men: Mat Fraser (duh), Scott Panchik, Streat Hoerner, Nick Urankar and George Sterner. I wish Jacob Heppner was competing – I would pick him to go to the Games for sure. But he couldn’t get the HSPU standard in the Open which is ludicrous. Google or YouTube the Brooke Wells controversy and her HSPU. Its ridiculous. Heppner should be competing.
- Women: Brooke Wells, Jessica Griffith, Jennifer Smith, Kelley Jackson and Kristi Eramo. Despite the controversy with Wells and her HSPU she is still super fit and wins this Regional.
- Team: CrossFit Mayhem Freedom, OC3 Black, CrossFit Kilo, CrossFit Mayhem Independence and Koda CrossFit. Rooting hard for Kilo from my birthplace – Waterloo Iowa (or Cedar Falls, whatever, it’s all the same).
- Men: Brent Fikowski, Garret Fisher, Josh Bridges, Cody Anderson and Sam Kwant. Some big names left out – Ben Stoneberg, Cole Sager and Christian Lucero. This will be a really fun male Regional to watch. Maybe the best yet in terms of close competition.
- Women: Chyna Cho, Alessandra Pichelli, Emily Abbott, Tia Wright and I’m hopeing Becca Voigt makes it back. Also rooting for Brooke Ence and Lindsay Valenzuela to have a good showing.
- Team: Invictus X, CrossFit Fort Vancouver, Paradiso CrossFit Venice, Diablo, Invictus. I think Invictus X makes a run for the Affiliate Cup at the games. The Dancer’s are on that team and they are locked in and focused on winning.
Latin America Regional
- I don’t recognize anyone’s name for men or women. I’ll move along…
- Men: Travis Mayer, Noah Olsen, Ben Smith, Alex Smith and Aaron Hanna.
- Women: Cassidy Lance-McWherter, Emily Bridgers, Whitney Gelin, Alison Scudds and Sarah Scholl.
- Team: Um…..
- Men: Lukas Esslinger, Rasmus Anderson, Phil Hesketh and Jason Smith.
- Women: Jamie Greene, Lauren Fisher, Oddrun Eik Gylfadottir and Mia Akerlund.
- Team: Ya, right…
- Men: Zeke Grove, James Newbury, Khan Porter and Brandon Swan.
- Women: Kara Saunders, Tia-Clair Toomey, Emma Wright, Madeline Sturt and Jessica Coughlan.
- Team: Again, I don’t know any of them.
So, there you have it. Some really safe picks and some that come out of nowhere other than my hopes and reams. Use pencil….easily erased pencil.