Week 1 food log.
Day 1: January 1st
- Meal 1: 2 slices of bacon, about 2-3 cups of mixed veggies (white onion, mushrooms, red pepper, jalapenos, cherry tomatoes and black olives) and 4 eggs with a little salt. I cooked the bacon and then sauteed the veggies in the bacon grease. After 15 minutes or so I put the four eggs into the pan and cooked. Just before it was done I put the bacon back in to warm it. I also had 2 grams of fish oil and 2 vit D pills.
- Meal 2: 1 banana, 1 gram fish oil, handful of almonds, remainder of some deer sausage and celery stalks with home made baba ganoush. I also had a plantain left so I fried it with coconut oil and cinnamon for a treat.
- Meal 3: Spaghetti squash with tomato sauce and meatballs.
- Meal 1: Back to work and I sort of break up meal one on days I work. I had 5 hard boiled eggs – I have 2 immediately after CrossFit and then the remaining 3 when I get into the office. I also had an apple. I have an orange I will eat as a snack. 2 grams of fish oil and 2 vit D tablets.
- Meal 2: Wife made barbacoa that I brought (maybe 6 oz?) with about a handful of cherry tomatoes, a whole orange pepper sliced and part of a yellow pepper I am going to dip into baba ganoush.
- Needed a snack: Handful of almonds and a coconut Larabar.
- Meal 3: About 6 oz of steak and a bunch of kombucha squash (if you haven’t had kombucha squash, you must). The squash was simply cubed and roasted and it was really flavorful. We also sauteed some mustard greens and chives in bacon grease with some bacon bits. Needless to say this one was tasty meal! 1 gram of fish oil.
- Was pretty “hungry” last night but avoided any snacks. I wanted a handful of almonds pretty badly around 7:30 or 8pm but stayed strong. Slept pretty good.
- Meal 1: Usual: 2 hard boiled eggs after CrossFit, 3 more when I got to work. I brought nearly 4 full celery stalks to dip into baba ganoush as part of my “breakfast”. 3 gram fish oil, 2 vit D tablets and a multivitamin.
- Meal 2: A big chunk of barbacoa – probably a good 8 oz and the remainder of what was leftover of the sauteed mustard char/chives from last night. Lemon flavored Larabar.
- Snack: Two coconut dusted dates and a banana. There is just too much time between my meal 2 and meal 3 (about 6 hours).
- Meal 3: A 4 oz pork chop and sweet potato “fries”. Applesauce and banana for dessert.
Day 4: Doing pretty good. Last night the late night cravings weren’t as strong, but still present. I avoided eating anything after dinner.
- Meal 1: Rest day from the gym so I took a spoon full of bacon grease and sauteed about 2 cups of mixed veggies (red and yellow peppers, mushroom, onion and japalpeno) amd added 4 eggs for my omelet or whatever you want to call it. I also had an avocado and I am stuffed. I think my stomach is shrinking or something (I wasn’t even all that hungry when I woke up but this is a “usual” amount of food for me). Next time I have a whole avocado I will only have 3 eggs and see how that goes. I also had 3 grams of fish oil, 2 vit D tablets and a multivitamin.
- Meal 2: I grilled 8 hamburger patties the other night (we purchased a 1/4 of a grass fed/finished cow a month ago and have a lot of pre-made patties). I brought 2 of those patties today that I am going to heat up along with about a cup of the same mixture of veggies from above. My wife also made some Whole 30 friendly pesto and I am going to top the burger veggies with some of that. I also have an apple and 2 cutie oranges (those little ones) and about 2 handfuls of almonds.
- Snack: took a fast paced walk after work with the wife and had a Larabar after.
- Meal 3: 2 more of the hamburger patties with some pesto. I needed some veggies and this was last minute since we were going out to eat but couldn’t make it. Last minute can be rough, as you might find out of you do a Whole 30 – planning is your friend. I put some bacon grease in a pan (don’t dump out bacon grease! Save it!) and sauteed some mushrooms, onions and rainbow chard. Bam! Tasty veggies. Oh, and I had more apple sauce with a banana for dessert.
Day 5: Feeling pretty darn good this morning! Hopefully the tired spell is over.
- Meal 1: When I workout during the week I wake up and go straight to the box for CrossFit. I don’t have time to eat and according to Robb Wolf the best bet to lose weight is to workout on an empty stomach. Today that wasn’t an option since the boot camp class didn’t start until 8am. I had an apple, banana and two beef sticks before the gym.
- Meal 2: A ton of veggies (red, yellow, green and orange peppers along with white onion and mushrooms) sauteed and mixed with 4 eggs. My brother in law made some salsa for me for Christmas and I topped the eggs with that. It was great. But I can pretty much guarantee that I will need a snack today. Meal 1 wasn’t much of a meal, but I didn’t want to overeat and feel stuffed while working out and now Meal 2 came at 10:30am. 3 grams fish oil, 2 vit D tablets and multivitamin.
- Meal 3: Yep, gonna be one of those days…Chipotle. Chicken salad with veggies, 2 scoops of mild salsa, 1 scoop of hot and guac. Also took down the Christmas lights today. Sort of depressing and refreshing at the same time.
- Snack: Half of a banana and a Larabar.
- Meal 4: Eeek! I put down a ton today. Usually what happens when I screw up my breakfast like that. About 5 or 6 oz of tilapia and sauteed rainbow chard. Applesauce with blueberries for dessert. I think I am done for the day…
- Meal 1: My usual eggs and veggies. 4 eggs and an avocado. Handful of almonds. Was really hungry after the morning run. 2 grams of fish oil, 1 vit D tablet and multivitamin.
- Meal 2: My wife made chicken legs with onions and something else. I had about 5 legs but there wasn’t much meat on them. I also had a salad with mixed veggies.
- Snack: A cucumber with baba ganoush.
- Meal 3: A pork burger (ground pork with diced onion, almond meal and an egg mixed together into a patty), sweet potato fries and a banana.
Day 7: After 6 days of the Whole 30 I PR’d my Fran time by 3:41 this morning. As the Hartwigs say “I have Tiger blood running through my veins”.
- Meal 1: 2 beef sticks after Fran. 4 eggs when I got to work and an apple. 3 grams of fish oil, 2 vit D tablets and a multivitamin. I also have about a handful and a half of almonds I might eat as a snack.
- Meal 2: A salad with lettuce (duh), red, yellow, green and orange peppers, white onion, blueberries, raisins and shaved almonds. About 5 ounces of chicken breast.
- Snack: Shared a banana with my baby girl and had a cucumber with baba ganoush.
- Meal 3: It was one of those meals when I had no idea what I was going to eat. Most of the time these turn out badly when I am not on a Whole 30. If I am not on a Whole 30 then I tend to eat a bunch of random junk, but that isn’t an option for this month. I settled in on a big salad with red and green peppers, onion, jalapeno, cucumber, almonds and raisins. I usually like more color with a salad but these were my options for veggies. I put some pepper and a little lemon juice on the salad and topped with about 4 ounces of grilled chicken. I also wrapped some dates in bacon and cooked them for a side. Lastly I shared some applesauce with my girl, she was oddly picky tonight and that is all she would eat.