Week 2 food log
Day 8: January 8th
- Meal 1: I woke up pretty hungry so I had a banana on the way to CrossFit and 2 beef sticks after. When I got to work I had 4 hard boiled eggs and 3 cutie oranges.
- Meal 2: Handful of almonds and a rather large salad consisting of lettuce, red and green peppers, jalapenos, onion, cucumber and raisins with some pepper on top. I also cut up about 4 ounces of chicken and topped the salad. Finally, as if that wasn’t enough vegetables, I had half of a cucumber and finally finished off the baba ganoush my wife made last week.
- Snack: A Larabar and a pickle. Random…I was hungry when I got home from work. The 6 hours between Meal 2 and Meal 3 is too much most day.s
- Meal 3: Fajitas. A roast seasoned like fajita meat with a ton of peppers and onions. 3 gram fish oil, 2 vit D tablets and multivitamin.
- Meal 1: I made paleo pumpkin pancakes last night to eat this morning. I know, I know, I’m not supposed to recreate “junk” food while on the Whole 30. You will be happy to know that the recipe I used called for honey and I skipped it. I did put baking powder in there and my wife told me this morning that baking powder is not Whole 30 approved. Whoops! I had no idea. Anyway, I warmed them up this morning and instead of syrup I made two eggs sunny side up and used the yolk to “wet” the pancakes. They were good! I also had my usual 3 grams of fish oil, 2 vit D tablets and a multivitamin.
- Meal 2: Leftover fajita from last night along with an apple.
- Snack: After swimming I had a Larabar.
- Meal 3: Not sure what to call them…pork eggs? Hard boiled eggs wrapped in pork and then rolled in crushed pork rinds. They were really good. With the remaining pork my wife stuffed mushroom caps with pork and onions. Finally, my wife made roasted carrots with a bit of olive oil and salt. For dessert I had my favorite apple sauce with bananas and cinnamon.
- Meal 1: After CrossFit I had a couple chunks of sausage (the kind that comes in a bag a$$ roll) and then a couple more chunks between my parents house (where I shower) and work. When I got to work I had 1 of the leftover pork/egg roll things. Was supposed to have an apple but got busy with work and didn’t. 3 grams fish oil, 2 vit D tablets and a multivitamin.
- Meal 2: Finally getting that apple. I brought 2 of the hamburger patties I grilled on Sunday along with some sliced green and yellow peppers and onion. I warm up the hamburgers with the veggies so the some of the grease from the burgers gets into the veggies and eat it all together. I also have 2 cutie oranges to eat.
- Meal 3: My wife makes this amazing acorn squash breakfast dish. She cuts the acorn squash in half and cooks facing down at 350 for 40 minutes. Just before those are done she cooks some sausage and onions together in a pan. When the squash is done she scrapes out the meat and mixes it with the sausage and eggs and then puts the combined mixture back into the squash and cooks for about 15 more minutes at 350. Just before they are done she cooks eggs, sunny side up and runny is how we prefer them, and when the squash comes out of the oven you put the eggs on the squash and eat. Let the yolk mix down into the meat. They are amazing. I had a full squash and 1 egg on each for dinner. I got hungry later and keeping to my 7pm cutoff for eating I had a banana at about 7pm.
- Meal 1: Going to try something different today. I have read a lot on Robb Wolf’s site and in his book about getting quality carbs in right after a workout. I tend to get pretty hungry around 10-11 most mornings and I am thinking it is because I take in decent protein but not enough carbs after working out. So last night I boiled 2 good sized sweet potatoes to mash and added a bunch of cinnamon to flavor. I split what I made into two containers and brought one of them with me this morning. For meal 1 I had 4 hard boiled eggs and what amounts to one fairly large sweet potato – mashed. 3 grams fish oil, 2 vit D tablets and a multivitamin.
- Meal 2: A bag of baby carrots and 3 hamburger patties and an apple.
- Meal 2.5: I was starving when I got home from work around 1pm (I guess the carbs might not be helpful?) so I made 2 eggs with a bunch of veggies and that held me over, thankfully, until dinner because…
Meal 3: We went to Greeley to watch my cousin wrestle and it took us over 2 hours to get there with traffic and weather. We were planning on going to Red Lobster for dinner and I had scoped out their menu ahead of time with a nice solid plan as to what I would order to stay on my Whole 30. But by the time we got to Greeley we didn’t have near enough time to go to Red Lobster so I ran into a King Soopers to find something to eat (no way I was going to try the snack bar at the wrestling meet). I bought 2 bananas, some summer sausage that was Whole 30 approved (no preservatives) and some mixed nuts that didn’t have any peanuts and, surprisingly, wasn’t cook in some sort of vegetable oil. Then after the wrestling meet we went to have beer so I sat and drank water. It was a tough night of Whole 30’ing but I made it out alive. Tomorrow night might be just as difficult if not more so…
- Meal 1: My wife made andouille sausage she found at Sprouts (it was on clearance and had no sugar or nitrites so she literally bought all the remaining sausage and cleaned house). She then shredded some rutabaga and cooked that in the grease left from the sausage and finally topped with a few eggs. Tasty! 3 grams fish oil, 2 vit D tablets and a multivitamin.
Meal 2: Shredded a few more rutabagas and cooked some ground beef. I mixed the two together along with some onion and jalapeno and minced garlic.
- Meal 3: Outback Steak House: Ahi tuna for an appetizer, grilled chicken, 2 pieces of bacon and sweet potato fries. I survived he bachelor party and didn’t have any liquor or bar food. I have to admit that it was really nice on my wallet but it might have been a bit more fun had I drank. I did have a Larabar on the way home around midnight.
- Meal 1: 3 pieces of bacon chopped and mixed with onion, olives and jalapeno and 4 eggs. 3 gram fish oil, 2 vit D tablets and multivitamin.
- Meal 2: Sweet potato fries with liverwurst.
- Snack: Weekly trip to Sprouts and my wife came home with plantain chips, so I had some of those. We also have dates covered in coconut and I had 2 of those.
- Meal 3: Buffalo Wings – Whole 30 recipe. They were amazingly good. My wife has also found that at local Korean or Chinese markets you can find all kinds of good things for cheap. She found some real chip coconut oil there, for example. She also finds some random vegetables and tonight she made some spinach from a Chinese market near the Aurora Mall. Well, it was all stringy and had the bottoms on it still, so it was like the super slimy spinach. Even though we cooked it in bacon grease neither of us could get past the look of the stuff. We couldn’t eat it. Hey, you win some and you lose some. I had some applesauce with blueberries and cinnamon.
Day 14 – two weeks done!
- Meal 1: After CrossFit this morning I had a few pieces of sausage on the way to my parents house to shower. When I got to work I had 3 eggs and the remainder of the sweet potatoes I made last week (about 1 whole potato). 3 grams fish oil, 2 vit D tablets and multivitamin.
- Meal 2: A large helping of broccoli and carrots and about 4 ounces of chicken breast.
- Snack: I just can’t get to the desired 3 meals a day as prescribed in In Starts with Food. I think maybe I am not eating enough? I would like to think I need to eat more often because I work out so hard in the mornings, but I think I just need more food. I eat about 7am and then 11am I am starving so I eat. That means if I don’t snack I have about 6-7 hours between meal 2 and 3 and that is just too long. Today I had some trail mix for a snack.
- Meal 3: My wife made the “chili con carne, extra carne” from Robb Wolf’s chili contest. It was super tasty and spicy! I had two helpings and as of this writing I am going to try to make it to bed time without apple sauce or something along those lines. Right now it is about 2 hours before my bed time and I am not the least bit hungry. Wish me luck!